Life, Love, and Relationships
PEERS® for Young Adults
Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS®) for Young Adults (Ages 18-35) is a 16-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated young adults, who are interested in learning skills to make and keep friends and develop romantic relationships. During each group session, young adults are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills.
*Young adults must attend each session with a social coach (i.e., parent, family member, adult sibling, life coach, job coach, peer mentor, etc.). Social coaches are taught how to assist young adults in making and keeping friends by providing feedback during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Enrolment is limited. Classes are on Wednesday afternoons from 1-2:30pm for participants and Monday evenings from 5:30-7:00pm for social coaches. Regular attendance is imperative. Social coach participation is strongly encouraged.
Classes will be starting February 2017
Topics of Instruction:
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to find common interests by trading information
- How to appropriately use humor
- How to enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to be a good host during get-togethers
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to be a good sport
- How to handle arguments and disagreements
- Dating etiquette/skills
- How to handle rejection, teasing, and bullying
- Have friendship challenges
- Young adults ages 18-35 years old
- Young adults must be interested in attending the program
- Young adults must agree to participate voluntarily in the program
- Young adults must have a consistent social coach willing to attend the program each week
- Call the GROW Program at 250-389-1211 and set up intake appointment with Danielle and Pam