JOB POSTING: Activity Worker, Elk Lake Day Program
Position: Activity Worker Program: Elk Lake Day Program
Reports To: Program Manager
Benchmark Match: Grid 8 ($19.98-21.85)
Bargaining Unit: HEU Benchmark
Title: Support Worker 1 (81501)
Days of Work: Monday through Thursday
Hours of Work: 8:30AM-3:30PM
Hours per Week: 26 hours
Closing Date: June 26, 2017 at 4PM
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
In accordance with the vision, purpose and values of Island Community Mental Health, client and staff safety is a priority and responsibility shared by everyone at ICMH, as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Activity Worker plans and carries out activities to meet clients’ life skills and social needs; works with adults with dementia as part of an interdisciplinary team.
• Plans and implements activities with clients, encourages client participation in activities that are related to their assessed need, ability and interests re; e.g. social and communication skills, crafts completion, and leisure activities.
• Adapts and modifies established activities for members to meet the special needs of clients. Ensures health and safety concerns are addressed;
• Observes the clients and reports all changes to the Manager;
• Observes the physical environment and reports areas requiring maintenance or repair to the Manager;
• Inventories supplies and orders replacements as needed through established procedures;
• Provides direction to clients and volunteers as needed;
• Performs housekeeping duties and supervises clients/members who are performing these duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, washing dishes, laundry, etc;
• Upholds and promotes the organization’s values relating particularly to ethics and integrity;
• Attends training designed to enhance skills and knowledge;
• Ensures adherence to accreditation, regulatory, and safety standards are met at all times (WorkSafeBC, ICMH policies); • Report all emergencies and incidents to the manager and emergency services as appropriate;
• Other related duties as assigned;
Education and Experience:
• Diploma or certificate Health Care Assistant or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
• Minimum one year recent, related experience • Current certificate in First Aid and CPR, Foodsafe, & WHMIS
• Current satisfactory Criminal Record Check • Certificate in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Motivational Interviewing, and Harm Reduction, an asset
Skills & Abilities:
• Understanding of the impact of dementia on behavior and functioning.
• Skills in relating with seniors with dementia in problem-solving.
• Good assessment skills.
• Capacity to introduce and teach crafts, games etc. at client appropriate levels of complexity.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with team members
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position;
• Ability to plan, organize and prioritize;
• Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients;
• Ability to analyze and resolve problems;
• Conflict resolution skills;